If calling from beforeSave(), the best place might be AppModel. If you
don't already have one of those, copy the file at
cake/libs/models/app_model.php to your app directory (not app/models)
and modify that. You would then call the function from within your own
model as $this->yourFunction(...).

Other places to put this function would be bootstrap.php or
AppController. If in the former, call it as yourFunction(). If the
latter, call it from within a controller as $this->yourFunction(...).