Jon,

OK, I got it working as a behavior. I had to make 3 changes from your
suggestion to get it to work:

1) The actAs declaration had to be:

var $actsAs = array('Cleanup'=>array('field1'=>'', 'field2'=>'')); //
i.e. empty options value for each field

(Actually, since I'm not using any options, this could have been fixed
by doing away with the options in the __setup() and beforeSave()
functions but I didn't want to break the convention)

2) Had to add:

var $__default = array(); // Added in the Cleanup class

3) Add the code to do the cleanup I desired.

Actually, very minor stuff.

Thanks for your help,
Ken