I was able to overcome this behavior by setting this in my routes.php

Router::connect('/admin/users/login', array('controller' => 'users',
'action' => 'login'));

It did the trick for me.  My only issue now is that once the user is
logged in they do not go back to the page they were attempting to
access but instead are redirected to the root of the site.

-Ben
http://www.benhavilland.com