@ Dr Loboto

Thanks for taking some time out to try and help me.

Can you give some more detail on where you are seeing a PHP error?  I
have pored over the output from the below url and cannot find an error
enywhere.  Perhaps you were looking at the site when I had debug set
to a high level working elsewhere?

http://www.localcause.org.uk/causes.rss?f=7,60=39

I can assure you that ampersands were being reported as an issue by
the feed validator.  It is not in my interests to spend extra time
creating strange manual operations to get around this for no reason :)

I was using the W3C feed validator.