OK, so using $this->Category->reorder(); reorders all the children of
a given category (in this example), and their children, and so on, but
is there any way to reorder _all_ the categories, including the top
level ones?

I see now the point about my code not doing anything more than the
original CakePHP code, as either way, nothing's reorganising the top
level categories.  Either I'm missing something or that functionality
simply isn't available, is that right?

It's good to know that it's recursive though, that's great.

Thanks,
Zoe.