Since I've done all of your suggestions an I'm still having no success
perhaps it's the way that I'm doing my subdomains. Here's how I'm
doing it. Let me know what you think. In my routes.php I have:

$subdomain = substr(env("HTTP_HOST"), 0, strpos(env("HTTP_HOST"),
"."));

if ($subdomain == 'api') {

}

else if(....

Then in my hosting cpanel, I go to the subdomains tab and add a new
subdomain, and set my cake app directory as the path for the
subdomain. Is this an acceptable way of doing this or could this be
the cause of my problems.