This is probably a mute point as you say your other sites are ajax
heavy, but what are you using to view the source.  I would suggest
something like FireBug as it shows the full source including DOM
changes via ajax/javascript.  It will also show you the results of
your ajax requests.  You should of course already be using something
similar to FireBug if you have been working with ajax a lot in the
past.

How have you set up a javascript event for the 1st dynamic field your
form creates?  My first guess is your adding an observer for the 2nd
field before it exists in the dom. You can also add an
'onchange'=>'jsfunction()' to the options array of form->input to add
events to your form fields, this would attach the event to the field
as it's created.

HTH

Paul

their CakePHP related questions.