Well then I'm back to the solution I suggested in my initial post: I
think it would be as simple as throwing the try catch around the
Action invocation in the dispatcher.

I will play around with it. I really don't want to touch cake
internals, but it makes more sense than the three alternatives I see:
(1) Possibly letting some exceptions slip by during beta testing. (2)
Internally placing the same try/catch wrapper in every single Action
(3) Writing try/catch statements for every single possible exception
before knowing that they will ever be thrown.

My plan is to use this try/catch Action wrapper with the intention of
refining exception handling for frequent exceptions.

I'm sure there will be an elegant Cake solution in 2.0 or perhaps
sooner. In the meantime, I'm going to work with this catch-all and
keep my eye out for a way to solve this better.

their CakePHP related questions.