It is going to be a little more difficult for you coming to this
without any prior knowledge of databases.  However, I wish I had
worked within the constraints of this framework (OOP/MVC Design
Pattern) before I had the chance to teach myself a lot of bad habits
so you have that going for you.

Whilst book.cakephp.org does mention the use of DISTINCT and GROUP
etc. it is likely to cover them as if you already know what they do.
It may be worthwhile reading through some MySQL tutorials (I assume
you're using MySQL) just to get your head around the possibilities
open to you.

I have never read through a tutorial from start to finish but a quick
Google found this one which seems to cover most of the functions:

http://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/

someone else may be able to recommend a better one though.

HTH

Paul.

their CakePHP related questions.