I completely agree, both with the point about it being difficult to
use Cake for advanced applications (or just non-standard CRUD sites)
without prior knowledge of SQL, and about not picking up bad habits by
developing within an MVC framework from the get-go.

Personally, I'm not as familiar with SQL as I'd like to be either
(don't know how to use triggers, stored procedures, build indexes,
create constraints, etc.), even though I've been developing with it
for over 7 years, as I've never taken a formal course on database
design/development/administration. But I have the dev.mysql.com (as
well as php.net, jquery.com, Cake API/Cookbook, MDC, etc.) search tool
install with search keywords configured so that I can just type "mysql
distinct" into the Firefox address bar, and it will search the online
MySQL documentation for the DISTINCT keyword--it doesn't work quite as
well as php.net's search function, which will automatically take you
to the page for that function/class/topic, but it still saves me a lot
of time since I'm looking up stuff in the MySQL manual all day long.

MySQL's online documentation can be quite dense at times, as it also
assumes that you have formal training in SQL and relational databases,
but the user comments are pretty helpful and often includes example
code. But the best way to learn (aside from taking an academic course)
is just to practice writing lots of MySQL queries using the command-
line client or write practice PHP+MySQL apps using manual queries
instead of Cake's model functions. You should do this at least until
you're proficient enough in SQL that you can write your Cake
application without the use of Cake's database abstraction (e.g. know
how to use SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, as well as basic uses of
joins and even subqueries). Once you've done that, then you can let
Cake handle most of the menial queries and use GUI clients to
administer your database.