I'm just getting started with CakePHP and also David Persson's Media
plugin (http://github.com/davidpersson/media). I've got my app working
but I'm having a difficult time getting the Media plugin working. I
figured I'd start this thread so I could A.) get it working and B.)
create a reference for beginners like me.

Here's what I've done so far (following the README and Configuration
wiki - http://wiki.github.com/davidpersson/media/configuration). Steps
marked with a * didn't go as documented :(

1. Download and extract the files to /path/to/your/app/plugins/media
2. Include the Media plugin config file in the /path/to/your/app/
config/bootstrap.php

        define ( 'MEDIA_TRANSFER', APP . 'transfer' . DS);
        define ( 'MEDIA_TRANSFER_URL', false);
        require APP . 'plugins/media/config/core.php';

* 3. Create the directory structure using the console

cd  /path/to/your/app/
../cake/console/cake media init

The Configuration wiki says that there should be a static, filter, and
transfer directory under the webroot/media/ directory but the command
above will put the transfer directory under the app directory. Not
sure if this is how it should be or if I did something wrong.

* 4. Copy/move/collect the media into the new location

../cake/console/cake media collect

But this results in a bunch of errors :(

Media Shell
PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/to/your/
app/plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 119

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/to/your/app/
plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 119
PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: pluginVendorPaths in /var/www/
portfolio/app/plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line
130

Notice: Undefined variable: pluginVendorPaths in /path/to/your/app/
plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 130
PHP Warning:  array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /path/to/
your/app/plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 130

Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /path/to/your/
app/plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 130
PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/to/your/
app/plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 132

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/to/your/app/
plugins/media/vendors/shells/tasks/collect.php on line 132
Would you like to add another path?

So I'm assuming maybe I've done something wrong. I will press on and
instead just move the files manually:

mv webroot/js/* webroot/media/static/js/
mv webroot/css/* webroot/media/static/css/
mv webroot/img/* webroot/media/static/img/
mv webroot/vendors/js/* webroot/media/static/js/
mv webroot/vendors/css/* webroot/media/static/css/
mv webroot/vendors/img/* webroot/media/static/img/

That works, minus the vendors directory (because I dont have one).
At this point the app is no longer styled. e.g. the stylesheet is not
in the proper path and afaik there isn't anything telling the app
where to find it. :-/

Next step.

* 5. Protect the transfer directory

../cake/console/cake media protect

Doesn't work. I just get the message: The content of the transfer
directory is not served. Guess I'll create this one manually as well.

nano transfer/.htaccess

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

Save and exit.

6. Give up.

Actually I pressed on but there really isn't any thorough
documentation after this point.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to put together some
documentation that would help other n00bs like me get this thing set
up.

their CakePHP related questions.