Just another clue:

When debug is set to 1+, the Java console reports this error (among
many others):

Exception in thread "thread applet-Painter.class-2"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: IllegalName: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//
W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/
xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I am guessing this means that some HTML page is being loaded in Debug
1+ mode and not in Debug 0 mode.  Perhaps some error page is being
tripped when the applet is being initialized?

Also not sure why I can't use Configure::write to set debug to 0
before view rendering??  That would solve my issue.

These are the problems that keep it interesting...

their CakePHP related questions.