I don't agree but I ain't an active and/or core developer, if they
believe additional work that is required if 5.2 is used instead of
5.3+ is worth it for their own projects and thus for cake 2, I am fine
with that. Just myself, I would care less about very old php versions
(like <5.3) that follow old paradigms. Browsers are one thing, its
hard to enforce latest software, I can understand if peeps go for NS4
or IE4 compatibility because its "somewhere out there" and "clients"
refuse to upgrade, software and setups up a web host are another
thing: if you want you can use lisp and postgres, doesn't matter, you
get almost everything for almost nothing regarding costs. If you
encage your thoughts about who supports what on the server side, you
lost already.

About your argument: domaingo (cheap brand of domainfactory) has php
5.3 support and its 0.99 cent/month (plus maybe setup fees) on a
shared host... If your client refuses to pay that I think you won't
sell anything worth the work of creation and selling anyway, sorry.