actually its the other way around
it used to be $html and NOW is $this->Html (cake >=1.3)
and yes, there are plenty reasons why this is now a view object (and
not just an object variable)

it is a bad idea to want to go back to the old syntax

and your argument is bad: For the sake of simplicity $this->Html makes
more sense (no collisions in the view anymore)

hope that clears things up

On 12 Nov., 11:42, psybear83 <psybea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> For the sake of simplicity I'd like to make my helpers available in my
> views not as $this->Helper but as $helper using the set(...) method in
> the controller.
>
> Is there any reason why this could be a bad idea? Or is there already
> an option to tell CakePHP to make the helpers available this way?
>
> Thanks for help
> Josh

their CakePHP related questions.