I'd really like to know why it has switched to $this->Html. Is there a
decision log or something for CakePHP?

Coming from the RoR world (which is far more widespread in the
webworld than CakePHP, I guess) I like things as simple as anyhow
possible, even if you have to stick to some conventions for its sake.
I haven't worked with RoR since 2 years or so, so maybe things have
changed now, but up then as far as I remember things like helper
methods had been mixed right into the view *without* anything like a
$helper method or so.

E.g. a helper Bla with methods abc and xyz were accessible in the view
directly by calling abc and xyz, so you had to see for yourself that
no collisions appeared (and if one did, I guess you would still have
been able to distinguish your helpers by prepending the helper's name,
e.g. Bla.abc or Foo.abc).

So RoR went the way that's the most convenient to use, and by having a
good test battery in the background conflicts like the mentioned above
were located and fixed easily while still having all the convenience
in those spots that didn't have collisions (which are in most cases
many more than the ones that do).

Well, just writing some thoughts down here, no intention to blame
CakePHP or something... I'm just curious about some stuff... ;-)