I have stopped working without a framework in the background years
ago, and I only can recommend it. There's SO much stuff you don't even
know about that's handled by a good framework in the background (all
sorts of hacking-attempts is taken care of, for example), and with a
good plugin system your application can probably use great blocks of
code you've developed before or somebody else has already developed.

I only know CakePHP in the PHP world, so I'm not up to date what else
is on the market there, but CakePHP really seems to be a good
framework to start with. And what can't hurt, too, is to check out a
framework in another language from time to time... I can only suggest
you check out Ruby on Rails (Ruby), Django (Python) or Seaside
(Smalltalk). You can learn A LOT from such "other worlds". You will be
quite embarassed and feel like you have been "naive" before after
having done it. It's clearly an enlighting... Somehow it can be
compared to taking a virtual drug that opens your consciousness. LSD
for programmers! ;-)

Give it a try, you won't regret it for sure!