storing them in a database has the only advantage that they are stored
with the data.
not separately on the file system

BUT
- a) 33% more space needed (base64encoded)
- b) a huge DB file to backup with all those binary data
- c) working with them and displaying them is more difficult

my approach from above can display them quite easily
BUT IE6 and IE7 are too stupid for it :)

what if you want to display smaller thumbs? where to store them?
now on disk? still in db? can get pretty messy

in the end saving them to disk in the first place might be your best
shot.
as cricket mentioned, they are exactly as safe if stored below the
"surface".