I agree that I once felt the same way
After a few months I came to a different point of view, though.

You totally misunderstood the message behind my article if you state
that i was arguing in your direction.
What I really meant was that the default templates are quite useless
for the final project. That you MUST create your own bake templates.
For a serious cake app there is no way around it.  Simply, because it
is not possible to cover all possible use cases, you must adjust it
yourself. And i gave some hints how to create the most powerful
templates covering a lot of use cases and automatically handling a lot
of stuff.
Of course I would love to have those in the default templates. But it
will never happen, because others have totally different ideas of how
the template should be "enhanced".
Thats way everybody creates his own :) and doesnt use the default
templates. This little bit of work should not hurt too much -
considering the beautiful results.

And no, the bake templates should NOT necessarily be as complex as
possible.
that would have to be the case if they could not be overridden. but
since they can, they don't have to be.
They must at least cover the basic aspects of usability and security.
Thats way I filed a ticket regarding the missing h() escaping which is
now in the core :)

you can certainly open a ticket for it. for selected boxes, it should
then append array("empty"=>true) in the options param.

I do see the advantage of it - most times the first record is selected
automatically which can be annoying (especially if there is no "empty"
value to switch back to).
So even with required select boxes the default value should be "empty"
instead of selecting the first one.

Since this is probably still controversial you should provide a
complete "patch" in order to get your ticket approved without lots of
debating.
but you would have my vote.

mark