On Feb 22, 2011, at 02:57, AD7six wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:07 am, ProFire <profir...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I use a single http request.
>
> Why are you using a http request at all?
>
> I'd suggest:
>
> * use the cli - a month long http request? you're just asking for
> trouble
> * write your process such that it's restartable
> * daemonize it - a manager process that doesn't do anything except
> restart your worker process if/when it stops.
> * OR more generally use a queue system (job x registers jobs x1, x2,
> x3 ... before it ends)
>
> Ryan's guess about the query logging is probably a good place to look
> (look in dbo_source for cacheMethod), but it doesn't warrant any
> action from the team - " CakePHP might want to reconsider that
> assumption" - the assumption that php/http requests are being used as
> designed? Come on, which side of the 80/20 rule are batch processes in
> cake which last longer than a few hours? How hard is it to identify
> these memory "leaks" and eliminate them?

I had assumed he was using a CakePHP shell script. I agree trying to run a
month-long PHP HTTP request is not considered normal and should not really be
expected to work. But there's nothing in the design of the PHP language that
would make a month-long or longer PHP command line script improper, and I think
that usage should be supported, even within CakePHP. The CakePHP book's sole
example of what one might want to do with a shell script is to run a report
[1]; that's exactly what this thread is about -- though admittedly it's a very
large report.

I don't know how hard it is to identify and eliminate this unwanted memory
usage; I have not attempted to identify it.

[1] http://book.cakephp.org/#!/view/1108/Creating-Your-Own-Shells