Then there must be something you were not doing right. Basically,
first, you deny access to all controllers from anybody/any group. Then
usually, you make/give permission to the admin so they have access to
all controllers. It then follows by the other groups which you assign
them permissions.

This is the draft, correct sequence. Did any of the steps above sound
familiar to you, did you follow that part?