That is correct, the $this->Session->flash('auth'); message is not part of
the layout
because I relayed on people following:

http://book.cakephp.org/view/1252/Displaying-Auth-Error-Messages

I should've added an Information Box to clear it out :(

Anyway if you get the flash messages, it should be consumed by the login
action. Meaning that if you enter wrong credentials, and thus the login
message shows again, then the $this->Session->flash('auth') line should
consume the message.

What you can do is remove the $this->Session->flash('auth') from your
layout, and instead place it in your app/views/users/login.ctp view, since
that's where the user will be redirected if there's an auth error anyway.