If I understand the idea correct, it makes sense to me.

Example
I build a real-estate app for 1 agent, next week 2nd agent wants same thing
just different look, I could then have 100 agents all having their own site
(conditionally all sites are on 1 server) which is basically the 1 app
serving up the same controllers / model / views to each agent so you don't
have 100 copies of the same app. So everything runs from 1 app the only
thing different would possibly be the views.

We all know we can use the cake folder / core to serve multiple apps why not
have 1 app server up multiple sites if they are all the same controllers /
models with just a different view or theme? Beats having to update 100
versions of your app if that was the case. Take Point2 real-estate or intuit
cookie cutter sites I don't think every site has its own unique code base.
Just a layout over the shell, not 100 thousand versions of the same thing
over and over for every site. Make 1 change to the code and then time to get
the monkeys to change that 100 thousand times globally...

I know these examples are monster powerhouse with $$$ backing with top
talents and resources, not using cake but the question was if it's possible
to do with cake.

No? Did I read it wrong?