I've always thought about that same issue. I think there's some good
JQuery  / Ajax image upload and cropping plugins.

On a basic level, I'd probably allow an upload then refresh the same
page after the successful upload. On reload, the page would be in the
"editing" state, so instead of just showing the photo they just
loaded, it's shown within the cropping editor with a "save changes"
button below. Upon clicking that, the co-ordinates are sent to the
controller action again and the page is reloaded again, this time with
the final cropped / edited photo in place.

I'd likely try to streamline this with Ajax image uploading though.

Take a look at Malsup's Ajax image upload plugin for JQuery.
http://jquery.malsup.com/form/#file-upload