Bea's Pineapple Cake w/Seven Minute Icing
Added by Bea L. [coffeetime] on Dec 9, 2010
Bea from Emerald Isle, NC (pop. 3,655) says:
My family loves for me to make this cake. Granted, it is very good & an
absolutely gorgeous cake but let me say something about the icing. It's
certainly not my favorite thing to make because it will tie you up at
the stove for about 12-15 minutes. In my opinion, it really should be
called Twelve-Minute Icing! LOL But it is worth the extra time and
effort...especially for my family! This is not only an impressive cake
but it is so very moist and delicious. If you take it somewhere, it will
disappear so fast that you may not get a slice for yourself!
Cook time:

        Difficulty:     EASY
Prep time:

        Serves:

Ingredients
- 1 bx pineapple cake mix
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 4 eggs, less whites from 2 eggs (save 2 egg whites for
icing)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
TOPPING BETWEEN LAYERS:
- 1 or 2 lg cans crushed pineapple, undrained

- 3/4 c granulated sugar
SEVEN-MINUTE ICING:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp white corn syrup
- 1/3 c cold water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions

1. CAKE: DO NOT FOLLOW CAKE BOX INGREDIENTS. Preheat oven to 350. Grease
& flour three 9" cake pans. (I have also used 8" pans as well as a 9x13
sheetcake pan). Mix together the cake mix along with the buttermilk, 2
whole eggs and 2 egg yolks, sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix with electric
mixer on medium for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pans.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until they test done. Leave in pans for
10 minutes then turn out.

2. TOPPING: Once you get your layers in the oven, pour the pineapple
(juice & all) into an appropriate size saucepan. Add the 3/4 cup sugar,
mix well & cook on med-low, stirrring occasionally, until layers are
done. Turn burner off but leave saucepan on burner so it'll stay warm.
*SEE STEP #7.

3. ICING: Put your water in the bottom of the double boiler and start
the water boiling. In the top of a double boiler, combine the 2
remaining egg whites, the 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 TBSP syrup and 1/3 cup
"cold" water. Using an electric hand mixer, beat for 2 minutes. Now
place the top of double boiler into the bottom and still using the hand
mixer, beat continuously for 7 to 8 minutes. The icing should be getting
very stiff by now. Once you have done this for at least 7 minutes,
remove from heat & add in the 1 tsp of vanilla & continue beating for an
additional 2 to 3 minutes or until icing is very stiff, thick and shinny.

4. TO ASSEMBLE: Put one cake layer on cake plate. Punch several holes
into layer, pour a third of pineapple topping over layer then spread on
a fourth of icing and repeat with the second layer. Place last layer on
top and pour last third of topping over layer. Ice top & sides with
icing. Note: make sure you have about half the icing left for the top &
sides.

5. TIP: I was told that by cooking the pineapple will prevent it from
turning the icing dark after a few hours.

6. IMPORTANT: this cake is better to be eaten the day of baking. The
icing seems to break down the next day so please don't make this cake a
day in advance. It'll be good but certainly not as pretty. Also, I
recommend leftovers be kept in a cool place or refrigerated.

7. *PLEASE NOTE: Some cans of pineapple have more juice than others so
go ahead and follow step #2 but before you put the pineapple on the
layers you may want to drain the pineapple but reserve the juice in case
you need to add some of

--

*Ginny Butterfield
Cranberry Twp, PA