It is so nice to see this list come to life again.
I just wanted to point out that the inbound drop rate was merely .03%
in the first email.

Elsewhere we keep hearing of 1-2% drop rates being common, and I just
aint seeing it in any of the larger scale data I have been getting
from the libreqos deployment. Maybe that´s how fifos collapse in slow
start a lot more than we have ever observed. Maybe it is retransmits
going wild at 250ms worth of buffering.

scale=10
10688/29185742
.0003662062

I still have to sit back and admire you all for this magnificent
achievement of cake. I am not really the gloating sort, but seeing
juniper go up for sale to hpe today, at a firesale price, is oddly
satisfying.

https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 10:40 AM Nils Andreas Svee via Cake
<cake@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> You’re unlikely to do any real harm though, but the warning is there cause
> you can potentially soft brick your router using it. I’ve run into that
> myself if I remember correctly, where after a firmware upgrade the kernel had
> slightly changed, so loading the sch_cake module caused it to panic. And I
> had it start through /config/scripts/post-config.d of course, so it would
> happen on every restart.
>
> Nothing a factory reset won’t solve, but annoying when if you’re messing
> about remotely :)
>
> As for USG, I think I used to have some binaries for those too. I do still
> have some old kernel sources for them laying around in a repo.
> It’s been awhile, but I probably stopped building for those as it wasn’t as
> straightforward to keep up with the versions of the firmware.
>
> Though frankly, I don’t plan on updating the sch_cake and tc binaries when
> new firmwares are released anymore, as they don’t publish the GPL archives on
> their webpage after the redesign, and they don’t respond to requests for them
> either by the looks of the forums. So if it breaks there’s not much I can do
> anymore.
>
> Best Regards,
> Nils Andreas Svee
>
> On Jan 3, 2024, at 14:44, Pete Heist via Cake <cake@lists.bufferbloat.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2024-01-02 at 10:59 -0800, dave seddon via Cake wrote:
>
> I thought people might be interested to see what Ubiquity/Unifi is
> doing with "Smart Queues" on their devices.  The documentation on
> their website is not very informative.
> <snip>
> "Smart Queue" Implementation
>
> Looks like they only apply tc qdiscs to the Eth2, and sadly this is
> NOT cake, but fq_codel.
>
> And cake isn't available :(
>
> root@USG-Pro-4:~# tc qdisc replace dev eth0 cake bandwidth 100m rtt
> 20ms
> Unknown qdisc "cake", hence option "bandwidth" is unparsable
>

> Hi Dave, there's a community contributed version of Cake for EdgeRouter
> devices that I've been using for years on production ER-X's:
>
> https://community.ui.com/questions/Cake-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/fc1ff27c-f321-4344-8737-fcc755cae8a2
>
> I don't think that works for UniFi/USG devices, however, and one should
> note the disclaimer and be careful when installing it. Also, it must be
> re-installed after every upgrade.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

40 years of net history, a couple songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos