Woah, hold up:

"The only downside is the dialog does not fully cover the screen."

Not in a spot to test this yet but how much is covered / how big is
the visual change?

If its at all different would we not want to deprecate the old
functionality and warn of the new behavior?

Final thought, perhaps we could consider axing splash screens
altogether. It kinda should be handled by the client code and not the
native side, imo.