Thank you, Jeff!

I would really like for dancers and musicians to kindly and respectfully
agree that we speak two different languages, and agree to use ONLY the word
"count" to talk to one another across the divide.

Even some musicians don't understand the difference between 4/4, 2/4, 6/8,
and 2/2, particularly since folk notation often uses 4/4 where 2/2 is really
meant. But I contend it doesn't really matter so long as you know how the
tune goes. I'm able to simply disregard my musical training (BMus Oberlin,
MMus, New England Conservatory) when faced with music (or musicians) who are
happily, blissfully unaware of the traditions of standard musical notation.

And dancers!  Good lord, not even folk notation can explain the
misconceptions about musical terminology. But again, I contend that it
doesn't really matter if you can hear the top of the phrase and if you can
count to eight. Forget all that A1 and A2 and B1 and B2 business!  It's
useful to the musicians (so callers who truly understand it can sometimes
get a tune back on track that has gone off) but the dance choreography is
almost always 8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8.  Sometimes the eights have two four-count
moves, and sometimes a four count balance is followed by a twelve count
swing, but it's really all eights, all the time, in contra dance.

All eight WHATs?  Why, eight counts, of course. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. And even
poor lost-soul musicians who don't dance can understand that it's up to them
to figure out what note length gets a single count after you walk it through
for them.

So the word "count" gets us both into less trouble, and means basically the
same thing to both groups. As a musician, I might mentally translate "count"
into "beat", and as a dancer, I might mentally translate "count" into
"step", but I mean exactly the same amount of time in both cases.

If anyone is interested in why I think the word "beat" won't do the same
job, I'd be delighted to entertain a discussion, but perhaps off-line where
we won't leave people scratching their heads and wondering why people even
think about such things...