One hour. High school students. New, non-dancers.

Everything building, no long teaching at the beginning or elsewhere.

As you note set dances would be good, as would some circle.

---
Maybe a two couple, "scatter" dance or couple mixer.

I've used Set a Crochet, a couple mixer, a couple of times now. I accidentally doubled the amount of music used for it the first time. While I noticed that pretty quickly I left it alone and most folks appeared to have a more successful and fun time. Try it either way, maybe start using twice the amount of time, then during the dance let them know there'll be less time to find a new couple the next time!

I found it in, "SYLLABUS of the 15th Annual Ralph Page Dance Legacy Weekend January 18, 19, 20, 2002"
http://www.library.unh.edu/special/index.php/ralph-page-dance-legacy-weekend

Grab the Index spreadsheet, a fabulous search-able reference.

---
I like Dog Branch Reel. I'm not sure I'd use it in this context, not as a sole Contra dance selection anyway.

While Henry M. may love the apparent simplicity and interest of Dog Branch Reel http://www.henryandjacqui.com/Essays/Wesletter.htm
his use of it to "check out the hall"
http://www.henryandjacqui.com/Essays/Prepare.htm
supports my (thus far limited) observation of it and the notes I added to my direction sheet to deliver just before the music starts,
"NB: three _short_ swings, all _8 beats_.
Who am I?
Which way is Down?
Which way is Up?
Go!"

I've seen newer dancers, in the early second half of an evening program, be totally thrown by the apparent change of direction/orientation and the immediacy of the next figure. If your students are mentally quick . . . why not. Maybe after another Contra, maybe not.

---
Contra ideas

Some fun, possible dance selections might include:
Ashokan Hello, Tony Parkes
Three To Get Ready, Ted Sanella

With some set crossing:
Spring Fever, Tony Parkes
Ashokan Hello, Tony Parkes.
Scout House Reel, Ted Sanella

Hmm, Tony and Ted are getting a workout, oh well.

I enjoy Midwest Folklore by Orace Johnson. An approachable Becket. Two quick walk throughs and leave folks there to slide left into the first figure, no one "out".

---
To consider -- how many dances would you expect to get through in one hour? Will something precede the start of dancing in that hour? Will they be ready to start at the beginning of that hour? Must you finish before that hour?

Once I knew that then I'd select whether Contras, how many them or level of difficulty to match. I've discovered I need more set dances and Ceilidh (any number of couples, big recovery time) and circle dances in my book.

---
Open to comments.

Cheers, John

J.D. Erskine