Wow.

I call mixers because it is the one and only time in an evening when the whole
group is gathered together. Instead of "my little clique" it is "all of us are
in this together" as a dancer and as a caller I enjoy that experience.

I call mixers because I find a whole evening of contra, contra, contra, contra,
contra... boring (as a dancer.) Especially if every dance has a similar piece
count, pacing, and two swings (or at least a partner swing.)

There are probably other reasons as well, but these are my primary thoughts.
Any idea of needing to twist the arm of people to welcome newcomers has not
entered into it.

The modern urban contra dance scene is welcoming to people who would fit in
anyway. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It is the nature of hobby
activities. Since muc dancers go to a dance primarily to dance "what they want
to dance the way they want to dance it" then anything outside of their hobby
mind-set is anathema.

Beth

<snip>

> First, I find that mixers are too often a heavy-handed way to force the
> regular dancers to integrate newcomers.  This can set a negative tone that is
> transferred to the newcomers themselves, creating an attitude that
> newcomers should be "tolerated."  The "grumbling" Jeff mentions above is
> not easy to miss.  It seems obvious that many newcomers will be aware of
> this attitude and it will interfere with their motivation, and possibly their
> inclination, to integrate into the dance community.
>
> Second, I feel that mixers can actually discourage many regulars from
> partnering with newcomers.  This happens when mixers are not announced
> in advance.  Consider the situation when a more experienced dancer takes
> the initiative to approach a newcomer and partner with them only to learn
> that the dance will be a mixer.  This can be discouraging to those who put out
> the effort to partner with a newcomer.  If you want to call a mixer please
> announce it clearly and well in advance of the partnering process.
>
> Third, the decision to call a mixer can send several implied messages to the
> regular dancers that have a negative influence.  These include:
>
>     - The caller assumes that most of the regulars are not partnering with
> newcomers.
>     - The caller assumes that most of the regulars do not enjoy dancing with
> newcomers.
>     - The caller does not have confidence in the regulars to welcome and to
> partner with new dancers on their own.
<more snip>