To have the sylables work out, Bands and Bare-arms actually works better.

Jack

On 12/2/2010 1:10 PM, Dave Colestock wrote:
Armbands and barearms work well as terms to use, but you would have to have
ribbon to make the armbands, or perhaps use scarves, or ties.  Many gender free
dance callers use the armbands and bare arms terminology when the dance
provides the armbands for the leaders role.  There has to be some distinction
in the dance as to who is doing what role.
Dave Colestock
Harrisburg, PA

--- On Thu, 12/2/10, susie rudder<surudd...@earthlink.net>  wrote:

From: susie rudder<surudd...@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Callers] Gender free dances
To: call...@sharedweight.net
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 1:02 PM

    I have been asked to call for a new dance group forming in a small town
    near our regular dance. Experienced dancers were asked to come help
    these absolute newbies, and some local musicians have volunteered their
    services. It became obvious that about half the dancers were lesbians
    who asked me to use non gender specific terms when calling. I tried
    'lead' and 'follow' because the syllable numbers worked, but I'm not
    happy with that. I also had some regular dancers comment on not wanting
    to deal with 'some' peoples' political agendas as related to contra
    calling. I have never dealt with gender free calling and would
    appreciate ANY help from those of you who may have been doing it for
    years. What terms seem to work best? Any other hints to make things go
    more smoothly?  These people are very enthusiastic and I want to see
    the dance succeed.