Interesting discussion, thank you for starting it and the resources
that have already come out.

I haven't had the experience of calling for an explicitly gender free
contra, so I can't attest to practice. I am a little wary of "bands
and bares" though. The words start the same and sound similar; I'd
worry (especially at a new dance where sound is still being figured
out?) about the words not being clear on the floor.

As a dancer, I actively dislike ties or markers. I feel it gets in the
way of partners swapping back and forth and playing with both roles.
I'd prefer dancers to be where they need to be and dance with whoever
is coming at them. I've seen "helpful" people hang ties on a female
dancer without asking, just because they saw two women dancing
together. It annoyed both of the dancers, and didn't really help mark
them as lead for the other dancers on the floor. When there's a gender
imbalanced night, I still want as many people dancing as possible, and
I want them to be as comfortable in any role as possible. That's
tangential to the original thread, but an issue I have seen cause
consternation.

Looking forward to other people's comments.