There's my inexperience showing. Beckett formation never even crossed my mind.

Something I have been thinking about in regard to this gender free discussion is ladies chain with a courtesy turn. Having Evens/Ns/Bares chain removes gender from the language but the act of courtesy turn still seems very dominant/submissive to me. My wife and I tried walking through a couple options: a skater's/promenade hand-hold in front or a no hand-hold, kind of gypsy to maintain the interaction and still get turned around the right way. The thing we decided we liked best was evens chain across to an allemande left. That seemed to keep the roles more neutral no matter which part was danced by a man or woman and still get everyone into the right places.

I love ladies chain with a courtesy turn and as a dancer would hate to give that up but as a caller I think I need to be prepared for the occasion when neutral is better.
Jim

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:

Jim McKinney wrote:

I really like Amy's idea of Ns and Zs because it's based on shapes that
most folks are familiar with, but I found out while trying to explain it
to my wife that it's not as quick and easy to communicate the
designation and the idea behind it as one might wish.  Which made me
start thinking.  What if I started with the active person on the left of
the duple minor set and numbered either way around the circle?  Then the
old "gents" would be the new "odds" and the old "ladies" would be the
new "evens".  Both terms are still brief, they have a different enough
sound that they won't be easily confused and it only took me ten seconds
to explain to my wife.

I like that. (I'm somewhat hesitant to introduce yet more numbers to the occasion - we've got 1st and 2nd couples, occasional counting in the dancer's heads to stick with the music - but the caller would (mostly) not be saying the
number, so it could work out.)

You'd need to take care to have people identify themselves before you
Beckettized a set, though.

-- Alan