There's only one thing I can think of to try at that point, and that's to
strike up a conversation at the break, ask the guy if he's enjoying the
evening, how he heard about the dance, etc., and if conversation indicates he's
not compromised in some obvious fashion, then ask him what's up. Had something
similar happen to me with a couple that would fit the description you gave. It
turned out that as a consequence of surgery he would have occasional,
unpredictable disorientation episodes. He really wanted to dance but it may
have brought on a spell; at any rate, though he seemed clueless, he had instead
been trying to fight the disorientation and continue dancing, but he realized
with disappointment after a few attempts that he couldn't dance any more that
evening. He was a good guy and I wish he could have participated more fully.