Thank you Alan for this great question.  I have struggled for an answer, and
then, realized that the framing of the question makes it impossible to
address the problem.  This situation goes directly to the heart of what good
calling is about.

We have all been in this situation.  There is a “problem” on the floor and
one, or two, dancers seem to be at the center of the confusion.  We
sincerely believe that the locus of the “problem” is with the one or two
dancers, and we struggle to “help” them “get” the dance correctly.

The real problem is with the frame we have activated in our own brains.  Once
we have activated that frame, all of our words and behavior follow from it.
The result is that we activate the same frame in the brains of almost
everyone in the room—including the confused dancer(s).  Every word, glance,
sigh, pause, gesture, or inflection of our voice becomes a signal to the
dancers that there is a “problem” on the floor and that the “cause” is the
behavior of one or two dancers.

All of this is implied, but undeniable.  Even the confused dancer will be
painfully aware of it.  (The framing is so clear that anyone who is so
impaired as to not “get” the message that they, themselves, are the locus of
the problem is probably so impaired as to be unable to remain vertical.)

It is important to point out that it is almost impossible to “act” as if you
do not “blame” anyone for the “problem.”  Almost none of us are that good at
lying.  Our nonverbal behavior will reveal our true beliefs.  You have to
actually change the frame in your own brain.  You need to activate another
frame.  The difficulty is compounded by the fact that you have already
activated the “blame frame” in almost every brain in the hall.  The “blame
frame” is now in the room and the “problem” needs to be addressed publicly.
You need to change the frame in everyone’s brain, starting with your own.

Note that this framing puts the confused dancer—rather than the caller—at
the center of control.  This is a terrible place to put a first-timer.  It
is a violation of etiquette and a perfect example of poor calling.  To
regain control you need to publicly take back full responsibility for the
entire situation.

A public apology is one of the oldest and most effective ways to change this
framing.  It’s not perfect, but it’s the best shot you have at regaining the
locus of control.  The apology should be sincere, public, contrite, and
short.  The exact words should fit the exact situation.  That’s what will
make the apology genuine.

I’m going to quote Ted Sannella here.  Ted offered this advice during a
caller’s workshop here in California many years ago.  It’s not suitable for
all situations but it’s a good example.  He said that, when a dance breaks
down completely it is often best to just stop the music and confess: “I’m
sorry.  I’m afraid I’ve chosen a dance that is too confusing.  Let’s try
another dance.”

A public apology is how you take back responsibility for what is happening
in the hall.  It sets an example of leadership that many dancers will
follow.  It takes the pressure off of the confused dancers and allows
everyone to relax a little.  It sets an example of good etiquette.  It also
projects a sense of civility, kindness, and regard for the feelings of
others.  This is the frame you need to activate when people begin feeling
embarrassed, stressed, angry, or incompetent.

There should be more apologies at contra dances.  It is the caller’s
responsibility to set this example.

This is how I try to deal with this kind of situation.  After apologizing I
proceed with a more humbled attitude and simple dances that will insure the
success of everyone.  As the caller I am responsible for making sure that
everyone has a great time.  When someone is “not getting it” I try to
remember that “getting it” is not really the point.  The goal is that all
dancers feel good about their community and how that community deals with
any guest who wants to participate.  That may change my plans for the
evening.  It may also “dumb down” the program a bit.  The important thing is
that the community feels good about how they treated each other.  “Good
dancing” is one thing.  But the core purpose here is to create an atmosphere
where everyone feels good about their own performance, not the caller’s.

- Greg McKenzie