From: callers-boun...@sharedweight.net
[mailto:callers-boun...@sharedweight.net] On Behalf Of Sue Robishaw
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:39 PM
To: CallersList
Subject: [Callers] Quadrille Formation

  Hi,
     I call some ONS dances now and then and like The Carding (from Dudley
Laufman's "Sweets of May" book), a quadrille that can accommodate varying
numbers of couples which is something I love in any ONS dance. The dancers
enjoy it and it's fun to call. But I'm challenged in the beginning to get
the dancers in formation (if I or someone isn't on the floor to help).
Squares aren't intuitive for many folks. And once in a square they really
balk at adding extra couples to the sides, in spite of assurances that it
really is OK. Once we're on our way all is fine and everyone is happy. But
I'd like to be better at getting the dancers comfortably in a
quadrille/square formation when it is new for many. Any suggestions?
     Thanks,
     Sue Robishaw
     Upper Peninsula of Michigan

PS - I'll add my vote for Snowball. The AABB version works for 3, 4 or 5
couples, though I often do top couple to the bottom at the end. I didn't
know it had a CC part.