I'll bet this discussion is going to continue for a bit, so let's clarify:

I've ALWAYS made people stop what they are doing -- made them leave more
room, move a hand -- I've just always done it non-verbally. If I don't want
to be dipped, I don't get dipped -- I can shift my weight or go inert in
ways that make it impossible. I'm not shy about taking care of myself, and
that cold/silent treatment is pretty darn harsh/unmistakable (just ask my
husband :)

But on reflection, it's always been a private interchange. By "calling out",
I mean it in the most specific way: calling them out from the crowd, into
the spotlight, to be addressed in front of an audience. I've very rarely
seen this happen, and have never heard of a woman walking off the floor
mid-dance.