Greg,

I can agree with you to a certain extent.  We have new dancers show up after
the workshops and they do reasonably well.  Our experienced dancers are very
good about finding new dancers who will benefit from dancing wiht them
(unfortunately - we also have some less accomplished but regular dancers who
also jump in to 'help')

The thing you are missing is it just makes the new dancers more confident.
Even if they don't need the lesson - they think they do.  And it makes them
feel better to have a preview of what is going to happen.  This is why some
newer dancers actually return to the same workshop for their next several
visits.  Some people prefer to learn this way - so we give them that that
option - some prefer to jump right in and learn on the fly - so they skip the
lesson.  It is hard to make any general statements about new dancers - some
almost immediately look like they have been doing it for years and some after
years look like they never saw it before and still have to be pointed in the
right direction.

Locally -  we also encourage the caller to personally conduct the workshop so
the new dancers already feel comfortable with him/her when they suddenly appear
on stage.

I do agree that being positive is a lot better than being negative - I
especially don't like callers warning dancers of all the bad things that will
happen if they do this or that - let them know how much fun it is to dance
safely.

Mac Mckeever