Hmm. "Devil's Dervish" (Linda's variation of Al Olson's "Devil's Duty")
does not fit the 'someone from California' criterion.

And "Major Hey" does not fit the 'improper formation' criterion. (For
anyone who loves "Major Hey, but does not love 40-bar dances, Carol Ormand
has a 32-bar variation!)

However, i did a bit of sleuthing... there's a Chris Page variant of the
same Al Olson dance, called "The Dancer's Duty" - which fits both criteria!

It's on his page http://chrispagecontra.awardspace.us/dances/index.htm

Hoping that is what you sought,
Tavi