I have wondered about this issue for years. I understand the value of calling simple dances with no partner swing at venues such as one night stands, or at a middle school where the kids might be too shy to enjoy dancing with a partner of the opposite gender, but as a dancer it drives me nuts. Once I've managed to recruit a partner, I would really like to dance with her, and I find it pretty frustrating when the caller comes up with a dance in which I have practically no interaction with my partner at all. It's especially annoying if I'm dancing with my wife, since we don't get to dance together that frequently if I'm calling for half the evening. I fully appreciate the fact that contra is a community dance, and we dance with everyone in the line as well as our partner, that's one of the things I love about contra, but the partner aspect of the dance is also very enriching. I wonder how the rest of this group feels about dances with no partner swing.

Lewis Land