Alan's answer is the "right" one, in my experience, but I offer this
anecdote:

I used to wonder what the "right" tempo for a contra dance was, so any time
the following three things happened at the same time, I took note of the
tempo.

   1. I was sitting out the dance
   2. I had a metronome handy
   3. The dancers looked really happy dancing

In EACH of the several cases in which those three things happened
simultaneously, the answer was, surprisingly, the exact same thing:

120 BPM

Mind you, that's just contra, and a smallish sample just in the Midwest.
Because of a square dance tradition in Missouri that sometimes used tempos
up to 144bpm (!) we were occasionally treated (or subjected) to those
faster tempos and developed a style of dancing that made it difficult for
us to dance any slower than about 112bpm (that's only two metronome marks
away from 120bpm).  Bands from the East coast would come and play at
104-116bpm, and we would find it hard to stay with the music. In recent
times, the tempos from our old-time bands have slowed a bit, and more of us
have experienced bands from elsewhere at dance weekends - but we're still
happiest at 120bpm, for some reason.

I also remember reading somewhere in my two Larry Jennings books that 120
was the ideal tempo, but I can't find the reference, so maybe I made it up.

You should also know that, on a slightly different topic, the old-time
musicians who play for contra dances (around here, anyway) look at you
mighty funny if you even mention the word metronome or beats per minute, so
don't do it. Do what Alan said - tap your foot, deedle, or better yet, keep
your mouth shut, because some of them have pointedly told us callers that
it's not our job to tell them how fast to play (strange but true!). The
best way to keep the peace with those folks if you want a slower tempo is
to ask them to play a slower tune. That they can, and will, do.