As a dancer my personal solution to the Rory o more situation has been to have
an old fashioned allemande grip for the first balance, as I balance away and
have a little momentum to help tear the hands apart, I switch to an ECD hold,
kind of like what you do for a balance before a swing, then it is only curved
fingers, which actually give plenty of oomph to the spin, but also disengage
easily.  I don't spin out of allemandes as much, maybe because few women give
enough connection to do so, in fact there is often no time for such a flourish
because the connection is too weak to accelerate the allemande.  This has
nothing to do with the position of our hands or fingers or thumbs, but more a
refusal to engage the whole arm so the presence of their body can be felt.  I
love a zesty dance weekend where a high proportion of women connect.  I think
by and large, we all wrap our fingers around the base of the other person's
thumb, often enough with our thumbs also loosely curled around.  The only time
I recently remember being 'gripped' was by a terrified newbie who seemed to
want to hold on in hopes we would all help him get where he needed to be.
Although it hurt, I was sorry for his fear and simply slid my thumb straight
down.  Like catching a falling pencil, it is pretty hard for someone to hold
your thumb if you pull straight down.
Cheers,
Andrea

Sent from my iPhone