On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Perry Shafran <ps...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Speaking of allemandes - is there ANY way to teach experienced dancers to not
> bend their wrists when they allemande?  The wrist is supposed to be straight,
> not bent, as bending can cause pain to the other person's wrist (generally
> mine).  Nowadays when I find a person allemande with a bent wrist I go ahead
> and keep mine straight and sacrifice a good allemande with weight for
> protecting my arm and wrist.

I wish I knew. I was teaching a pre-dance workshop at another place
and some of the "helpful" experienced dancers in the session were
steadfastly insisting that the bent wrist alternative was the only
safe one. Is there any way to deal with that without getting into an
noisy argument while the new dancers are trying to sort this stuff
out?

-Chris Page
San Diego

p.s. I'm not bothered by the hidden thumbs. The allemandes work fine
either way. The hidden thumbs just means the person's been hurt in the
past and is protecting themselves.