Hi Joe,

I would not recommend calling contras if they are not regular contra dancers.
I would do circles, mixers, and longways set dances, similar to the VA Reel -
dances like Boston Tea Party or anything from Peter Amidon's series of books
(Chimes of Dunkirk, Listen to the Mockingbird,...) - or perhaps some simple
squares.  Contras (and their progression) often confuse new dancers, and same
sex partners can also make things difficult to teach.  You don't want to spend
more time teaching a dance than they actually get to dance it.  Jefferson and
Liberty is the only, repeat only, contra dance I have had good success with
when calling to a group of non-contra dancers.  Also, do not run the dances as
long as a contradance would run - they don't have the stamina to dance
continuously for 8-10 mins, and the hot weather is a definite factor.

Jefferson and Liberty, can be done proper or improper
A1  Circle Left
       Circle Right
A2  Right Hand Star
       Left Hand Star back to place
B1  1's Go down the outside
       1's come back up and around their 2's to step between them to form a
line of 4
B2  Line of 4 go Down the Hall
       Don't turn around - just back up,
       1's Make Arch in center of line, 2's go thru the arch to new neighbors.

There are no swings, it is an easy foolproof progression, and the dance can be
done proper or improper.  Remember to explain the concept of 1's and 2's and
that the number changes when they get to the end of the line (waiting out 1
round of the dance).  I don't know the author - I always announce that it is a
Traditional American Contra Dance.  There are other versions of this dance
where the B1 is changed to something else, but this is my favorite version.

Dave Colestock
New Cumberland, PA