Rich wrote:

> Seems to me that newcomers don't know the figures are unfamiliar. It's all
> unfamiliar to them. These figures don't have to be hard.

By the fifth dance of the evening most of the figures should be "familiar"
to first-time contra dancers.  Any figure you add will then be "unfamiliar"
or "unusual."   Introducing a new formation with new roles to learn will be
a significant change for first-timers.  For many it will be a signal that
the dances are getting "more difficult" as the evening progresses and that,
perhaps, they should take their leave and return some other night.  I
suspect, however, that most first-timers who leave early on their first
night will *not *return.

Rich also wrote:

> I personally would not want to dance the same, or dances that feel the
> same, every time I go dancing. The appeal of contra dancing to me is that
> is always feels fresh. "Unusual" formations don't have to be complicated
> formations.

I am speaking only about open, public contra dances here.  Special events
catering to dance enthusiasts are an appropriate venue for unusual
formations.  That includes camps, festivals, weekends, and private events
for enthusiasts.

I agree that unusual formations don't have to be "complicated."  That word,
however, is perceived differently by different people.  I am not saying
triplets should *never *be used.  That depends upon the crowd, and the
skill of the caller.  At open, public contra dances it is up to the caller
to make sure that the dance will work for everyone in the hall.  Not just
the hot shots.

I think that all of us enjoy seeing the delight in the faces of
first-timers when they are swept in to the joy and excitement of contra
dancing.  That is the heart of this dance form.  You can experience that
enjoyment at open, public contra dances and, I believe, it is one of the
major "draws" of these events for dance enthusiasts of all kinds.  I am
only urging callers to remember the nature of these events and to remember
their job.

- Greg McKenzie