On 8/21/2012 12:06 PM, Jeff Kaufman wrote:
richg...@comcast.net wrote:

I don't consider a triplet to be an "unusual" formation. I like
them.

You can like unusual formations, but triplets at contras are unusual
everywhere I've danced.  As in, fewer than one out over every fifty
dances is a triplet.

newcomers don't know the figures are unfamiliar. It's all unfamiliar
to them.

  The
newcomers may not know the figure is unusual, but they will be getting
less support from the other dancers.

Jeff

I think Jeff's last comment is the most telling. The dance that inspired my initial post, Ted's Triplet #24, starts with a cast by the first couple to invert the set. This is actually a very simple move when you see it demonstrated, and it _was_ demonstrated, but I think a lot of the experienced dancers _assumed_ they knew how it went and didn't pay attention, then made a hash of it, taking the new dancers down in flames along with them.

It seems like the teaching is key here. Clear demos. Breaking the unusual formations and moves into clear chunks. Watching the floor carefully for problems. Success with one triplet will lead to easier acceptance of the form at later dances.

Maybe it's up to those callers among us who call both ECD and contra to lead the way with these dances. Just a thought.

Kalia