I'd appreciate some clarification about several relatively new terms in the contra dance world.

In her description of Fruit Punch, Joy wrote:

A1 With couple on L diagonal, Yearn to new Neighbors and fall straight back (8)

My understanding was that "yearn" means moving on the left diagonal toward one set of dancers, and then back from there on the left diagonal so that a couple has moved two places. If I understand Fruit Punch, the couple has only moved one place, forward on the left diagonal and then straight back. I've heard Bob Isaacs and others refer to that move as "slice" left but I don't know if that's common usage.

"Yearn" was created by Seattle choreographer George Walker in his dance "A Quarter More/"

http://www.quiteapair.us/calling/acdol/dance/acd_121.html

David Millstone
Lebanon, NH