On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:27 PM, richg...@comcast.net wrote:

> As David Millstone pointed out, the original "Yearn" figure was from George
> Walker. It had the couples double progressing in long lines.

Thankfully yearn was changed to slice--Bob Isaacs was that you who came up with
slice?--because the former sounded too much like urine.  Really.  I had dancers
coming up and telling me that. When you call a yearn in Denmark  they all laugh
because it sounds like the name Jørn (spelling may be incorrect).

While I may have slice written in my dance notes, I usually cue it as "On the
left diagonal..", etc.

The next anthropological question is, would dancers be able to execute a slice
in a no-walk through medley; do they know the term?

Lisa