From: callers-boun...@sharedweight.net
[mailto:callers-boun...@sharedweight.net] On Behalf Of Luke Donforth
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 7:33 AM
To: Caller's discussion list
Subject: Re: [Callers] Unruly Reunion/Monterey Detour

Old Time Elixer #2 by Linda Leslie and Tica Tica Timing by Dean Snipes are darn
close, the difference being a right and left through versus a promenade across.
(They're both fabulously fun petronella dances).

As for choreographers slipping up and writing their own dance twice, it
wouldn't surprise me, but it also may be that they changed the name when they
found something that suited better. I personally find naming dances harder than
writing them.

I know I've re-created dances that already existed; although it can be hard to
say if I'm writing them myself, or pulling them out of my dance memory,

It'd be fun to see a cladistic taxonomy of contra dances (and related forms),
showing the similarities and differences; be they regional, composer, historic,
or otherwise. I don't remember which caller, but someone broke contra dances in
to primarily 1 swing and 2 swing dances (with some others), and then branches 2
swing dances into dances where the swings are in adjacent phrases (ex A2 & B1)
or non-adjacent. That type of tree system could be the basis for basis for
classifying dances and keeping track of how close your dances are to others
(you'd still need a database of existing dances to compare to).

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Chris Page <chriscp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Linda Leslie
> <laleslie...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Tenth Year in Tommerup (Linda Leslie). Same dance by Greg Frock
> > called Hopping Tiger, Baby Squirrel. I have not had the opportunity
> > to talk with Greg about who might have written the dance at an earlier date.
> >
> > I know I have run across a few others, but have not kept tract of them.
> > Linda
> >

> And they're both idential to "Practice Petronella" by Tom Lehmann.
>
> I've written several dances that other people have written or wrote later.
>
> There's numerous duplication if you look close. I've even run across a
> few cases of callers accidentally duplicating their own dance,
> publishing two different names with the exact same moves.
>
> -Chris Page
> San Diego

Luke Donforth
luke.donfo...@gmail.com <luke.do...@gmail.com> www.lukedonev.com