> > The first: I'm curious how you all put together programs when calling
for a
> group of complete beginners. What's generally the progression of moves
> that you teach? Do you think dances with the most basic of moves (say, a
> dance that's all circles, stars, and long lines, not even a partner swing)
are
> helpful in getting people oriented to dancing, or are trivial and boring
and
> will make people think contra is dumb? (People "thinking contra is dumb"
is
> actually a bit more of a concern for me calling college dances, where most
of
> the folks to turn out aren't necessarily of the 'contra mindset' and so
it's
> important to hold their interest and make them think that what they're
> doing is exciting and worth their time--they're not necessarily going to
stick
> with it for the evening, or even for more than one dance, if they're not
> immediately into it.)

[Janet Bertog] Hi Maia, keep in mind you are going to get a huge diversity
in opinions for this question.  As a more recent dancer and caller, I feel
that teaching dances without a partner swing are going to be perceived as
dull and boring by your mostly college crowd.  Students are most interested
in interaction with the person they have come to dance with.  Times are
different now and partner interaction is wanted.  I would start with a basic
dance that has at least a partner and neighbor swing in it.  Getting them
into the swing early and with different people is going to give them more of
an opportunity to learn it and practice it and people like to swing, so get
it in there early.  From there I like to start my dances with Dancing Spell
by Cary Ravitz because it has most of the basic moves in it.

> The second, which ties into the first: how do you teach good contra
> etiquette--*especially* how to swing properly--when you don't have
> experienced people in the crowd to show the way? At my dances at school,
> most of the swings are tensionless and/or an awkward sideways gallop; very
> few of us go to outside dances, so the overall experience level seems to
be
> capped. Have you found an effective way to *teach* proper swinging,
> besides throwing a beginner into a crowd of experienced dances so that
> they eventually absorb it by osmosis? How can I get swings at my college
> dance up to snuff?

[Janet Bertog] When I do a beginner's lesson, I like to teach the concept of
giving weight.  Some people don't like that word, find something that works
for you.  But I think that is a critical part of the dance.  I teach the
connection within a group - connection with a light grip, not a choke  hold.
I start in a circle and have them circle left and right, reminding them to
keep their elbows bent and to feel the connection within the circle.  Then I
teach a balance and swing.  Teaching the balance as part of the swing is
important in that giving weight and connection.  Sometimes before I do the
swing I have them do a two hand turn and have them think about when they
were kids on a playground.  Remind them that the tighter they are together,
the better the spin (think about an ice skater that spins faster when they
pull their arms in).  Then I teach the swing from there, reminding them to
keep that connection and to lean back slightly into their partner's arms as
they do it.  I demonstrate this.  I show how the buzz step works and also
tell them that they can do a walking step in the same pattern.  I emphasize
that they are next to their partner but facing them, not directly head on
with their partner - this allows them to walk straight forward rather than
galloping.  I spend a large amount of time on the swing and giving weight.
Then I get them in a line in hand's four position.  I do the circle left and
right again, emphasizing the connection.  I have them swing their neighbor.
Circle left three places, swing their partner.  I teach the directions of
the hall and passing through to the next set.  From there, how much I cover
depends on how much time we have.  I don't find a lot of advantage in a
laundry list of the different moves.  So if I teach the moves I will teach
them as the first dance.  I may walk through my first dance with the
beginners so they can see the flow of the moves from one to the next.
Sometimes I will emphasize that the moves have flow and connection.  I like
to emphasize the connection of the dance with your partner, your neighbors,
your line and the music.  I will often emphasize the timing, counting out
the beats as we do a circle, for example.

For better or worse, modern contra dancing emphasizes the swing.  For me,
that is for the better.  I love it and I emphasize it in my teaching.  A
good swing is so important to the success of modern contra dances.

I like the idea of teaching during the walkthroughs, especially if you have
a lot of people out there who are inexperienced or need pointers.  I go back
and forth on this, because I don't want to overdo it.  I have not used it a
whole lot, partly because I have not been in an experience that was mostly
beginners, partly because I haven't called that much, and partly because I'm
not sure how the experienced dancers will react.  Greg's idea of getting the
crowd to help with teaching is appealing.  I may teach one thing in each
walk through, like giving weight to make the circle finish on time or how to
allemande properly.

I should mention, I "borrowed" all my teaching techniques from other people,
combining together ideas that I liked.