I didn't note when this spot aired, but am glad contra has gotten some national
attention.  Atlanta, where I dance and call, has definitely seen a surge of
youth in recent years, not due to the media coverage.
I wanted to say a quick word about Jonathan's mention that young parents often
leave the scene and come back later.  He said it as if it were normal and
acceptable.  I myself dropped out of the scene as a young parent, then later
came back.  I do not find this normal or acceptable though.   I look around me
and see a huge demographic gap at dances, where there are many there with no
kids, either in their pre kids years, or post kid years.  What is missing is
what I think ought to form the core of a community.  That middle group, many of
whom have kids, is largely absent.  For some, the busy-ness of parenting, of
getting kids to soccer and swim meets and concerns about getting them to bed on
time, does naturally keep them away.  But I believe for others, it is more due
to lack of institutional infrastructure to support their being there with kids.
 No place for kids to hang out, no eyes to keep watch over them, and in some
cases outright hostility to the juvenile element, whether on the dance floor or
just on the scene.  When I rejoined the scene, my kids were 3 and 6.  No other
parents were attending the dances with any regularity.  Though we had to take
turns sitting out, we paid full price to get in, we were that hungry to dance.
But if we were newbies, or lest persistent, maybe we would have been
discouraged.  Instead we carried on coming every week till our kids knew the
routine, and usually fell asleep amid their toys on the blanket where we were
by then able to park them.  Other people saw our success and told other parents
about it.  Now we have a whole gaggle of kids who come most weeks.  They have
grown up around dance and my youngest, now nearly 10, can dance as well or
better than most adults.  But it was only our sheer bullheadedness that opened
this road.  I would not have waited even that long (nearly a 7 year hiatus) had
structures been in place to not only permit, but encourage us to keep dancing
as young parents.  I would not want to see the current crop of twenty
something's all drop out for seven years at a stretch once they marry and have
kids. I would love the hear a discussion of creative ways to encourage them to
stay.  Some ideas I have had include allowing them to pay less if they cannot
stay to the end or have to take turns sitting out, making a space for kids
available, having community members who know they will not dance all night sign
up to keep an eye on the kid area, or an agreement that the kids will be where
those sitting out usually congregate.  I never had seen anyone dance with a
babe in a sling till mine were already bigger than that, but I do think people
are inspired by example, as our community was by our example, and might have
brought my kids when they were even younger had the idea occurred to me.  So
maybe making explicit somehow that we welcome parents with infants in carriers?
 My talents do not lie in the area of organizing, but maybe some of you who are
better at that than me can offer ideas that really would work.  Next time you
are at a dance, or even more at a dance weekend, notice whether that middle
demographic is well represented, imagine what it might be like to be there with
kids, and see whether disincentives to the attendance of families, even
unintentional ones, exist.  I don't accept that we must see these energetic and
enthusiastic dancers leave the scene just because they have kids.  How can we
keep our youth once they enter middle adulthood?
- Andrea

Sent from my iPhone